The District Wellness Committee met on June 17 to review the Student Wellness Policy (5405) and results of the triennial wellness assessment.
Triennial District Accomplishments
- Community Eligibility Program – provided free breakfast and lunch to all students
- Partnered with St. Peter’s Health Partners, Creating Healthy Schools & Communities – adding workout equipment to the weight room and offering extended program hours through grant opportunities
- Participated in local produce programs (in partnership with other local schools) to provide fresh fruits and vegetables through the USDA commodities program.
- Promoted monthly specials and activities to introduce seasonal fruits and vegetables to students
- Prepared annual Thanksgiving meals for our elementary students
- Developed and launched an app to encourage tracking nutrition and wellness activities through our Cohoes High School Science Department
- Expanded Outdoor Backyard Games Units at Cohoes high and middle schools. Students were introduced to games such as: corn hole, ladder golf, disc golf, Kan Jam, Nine Square, Spikeball, and RampShot.
- Installed bottle fillers in each school cafeteria
- Encouraged outdoor learning whenever weather permitted
- The district plans to expand outdoor learning and eating spaces
- The district will install additional bottle filler stations at each school
- The district will continue to participate in the Community Eligibility Program in all five schools
- The district will continue its partnership with St. Peter’s Health Partners, Creating Healthy Schools & Communities
- The district will explore opportunities that foster lifetime wellness and healthy choices will be further developed in the curriculum
- The Physical Education department will explore the potential of expanding outdoor winter activities
At this time, the District would like to invite parents & staff to review the Student Wellness Policy. Please send any feedback or recommendations to Stacy Mackey, School Business Official, at firstname.lastname@example.org.