The focus of the Cohoes City School District’s Counseling Department is to provide a Developmental School Counseling Program consisting of a comprehensive plan of academic, career, and personal development. The program is an essential part of the total school program and supports the goals established for all students.
Through a series of sequential and developmental activities, the counselor ensures that he/she is meaningfully involved with each student during each year of the middle school experience. In this way the student is in the best position to learn, plan, and make positive decisions with the ongoing support and assistance of a school counselor.
A team approach is necessary for the overall success of a comprehensive, developmental program that requires the involvement of parents, staff members, and community organizations.
Helpful Career Links
- Exploring Career Information from the Bureau of Labor Statistics – Data from the Department of Labor about the economy, including projections and regional information. Helpful for high school students planning majors and careers.
- Mathematical Sciences Career Information – Have you ever wondered what a mathematician working in industry or the government does all day? You can look at an alphabetical listing of over 90 career profiles of mathematicians working in nonacademic positions.
- America’s Career InfoNet – America’s Career InfoNet is a resource for making informed career decisions to support a demand-driven workforce investment system.
- College Board Career Browser – The Career Browser has been includes dynamic new content on college majors and careers.
- New York State Education Department Resources for Parents
- Get Net Wise – Get Net Wise directs you to resources containing “Online Safety,” “Tools for Families,” “Reporting Trouble” and “Websites for Kids.”
- Kids Health – A variety of useful information regarding issues affecting your children. Topics include: General health, emotions and behavior, growth and development, nutrition and fitness, medical problems, parenting, safety, etc.
- Safe Kids – Safe Kids offers additional tips, advice and suggestions for both you and your children.