The focus of the Cohoes City School District’s Counseling Department is to provide a Developmental School Counseling Program consisting of a comprehensive plan of academic, career, and personal development. The program is an essential part of the total school program and supports the goals established for all students.
Through a series of sequential and developmental activities, the counselor ensures that he/she is meaningfully involved with each student during each year of the secondary school experience. In this way the student is in the best position to learn, plan, and make positive decisions with the ongoing support and assistance of a school counselor.
Career and Counseling Website
Meet our counselors and get the latest info on the CHS Career and Counseling website!
Cohoes High School offers a wide array of core courses to help students meet graduation requirements, as well as a broad selection of electives and college-level classes designed to help students find their passion and prepare for life after graduation.
Classes open to students 17 years or older who lack a high school diploma and have left school. Instruction is done by a certified teacher who works with students to overcome their challenges so they can successfully pass the exam. Visit the Capital Region BOCES Adult Education page for more information.
What you may not know about financial aid and the FAFSA
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) determines eligibility for federal student financial aid programs, such as Pell Grants, federal student loans and federal work-study. Learn about FAFSA “Dos and Don’ts” before you fill out an application.
Students have Naviance accounts
Naviance is an online web-based program for college research, applications, and family connection that includes career research as well. It is required for each student intending to apply to college. If you have any questions please contact the high school counseling office.
New York State Employment certificates are required for all workers who are less than 18 years old. Applications for working papers are available in the school nurses office.
The application requires a parent/guardian signature and a health form to be signed by the applicant’s physician verifying he/she has had a physical examination within the past year. It is not necessary to have a job before obtaining the working papers.
Your counselor recommends that all students obtain working papers upon their 16th birthday. Working papers are available for students ages 14-15 upon request.
- Capital Region BOCES Career and Technical Education School Programs
- New Visions programs at Capital Region BOCES
- Questar III Math, Engineering Technology and Science (METS)
Applying to College
- The Common Application – The Common Application is the recommended form for 299 selective colleges and universities for admission to their undergraduate programs. Many of these institutions use the form exclusively. All give equal consideration to the Common Application and the college’s own form.
- SUNY Application
- NCAA Clearinghouse Information – Seniors who wish to pay intercollegiate sports at the Division I or II level are required to file an NCAA form as soon as possible.
- National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics
- Signing Dates
- eCampus Tours – Information on what campus life is really like. Virtual tours of more than 1,000 schools nationwide. Also available on the website are 1.5 million scholarships!
- New York State Private Colleges and Universities – Provides information on New York Private Colleges & universities.
- U.S. News & World Report: America’s Best Colleges – Provides information on college rankings as well as costs of colleges and sports programs etc.
- College Board
- Princeton Review
- College Net
- SUNY Schools
- Virtual College Tours
- National Association for College Admission Counseling
- Going to College.org
- National Honor Society
- GoodCall – GoodCall has the largest scholarship database in the world.
- FastWeb – Free Scholarship search engine. Over 1.3 million scholarships are available to apply for on the website.