Dear CMS Families,
We are so excited to begin this school year with you! The staff at the Cohoes Middle School has been working throughout the summer preparing policies, procedures and classrooms (virtual & on-site) to make sure students and families have the safest and best learning environment possible. Please be aware of the following:
- As mandated by New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) in New York State Education Department (NYSED) screenings and temperature checks for students will be taken daily prior to entering the Cohoes Middle School.
- Every Monday morning parents/guardians will receive a reminder via ParentSquare (via email and text) to complete the Health Attestation Screening daily. The attestation in ParentSquare should be completed for each student entering our school.
- Hybrid Onsite Learning Model – Students will receive in-person instruction every other day, alternating with at-home learning. To ensure social distancing, each grade level will be divided equally into two teams – Team Blue and Team Gold. When one team is in class the other team will continue learning at home.
- Students and staff will be expected to wear face coverings at all times.
- Virtual Learning Model – Cohoes Middle School students in the fully-virtual program will be assigned to Blue and Gold teams, alternating every other day between synchronous (live) instruction with their teacher and asynchronous, or self-directed, with lessons that are recorded or posted online. During synchronous (live) instruction, students will be expected to be online according to their period by period schedule. All assignments and links to virtual lessons will be posted in each teacher’s Schoology page.
- Our guidance office can be reached at 518-237-4131.
- Onsite arrival time for students can be between 7:45 AM and 8:00 AM. Our first bell is at 8:07 AM and this is when we open the doors. Students must wait at their grade level door. They will enter the socially distant waiting area after their temperatures have been taken. Please ensure your child dresses for all weather conditions.
- Parents, please ensure that you have signed up for Parent Square and have a valid Schoology parent account. We must have your most current e-mail address for these systems to work. Please visit cohoes.org for more information. Additionally, enclosed you will find our student/parent contact form. Please return to us if there are necessary changes (tip – take photo and e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org – For residency/address changes, we need a physical ROP).
- The first day of school for all middle school students is Friday, September 11. This is a virtual day for all students except 6th grade. 6th grade Team Gold is onsite from 8:40 am – 10:40 AM. 6th grade Team Blue is onsite from 12:00 – 12:20 PM. 6th grade virtual students have a session from 2:05 PM – 2:50PM
- Monday, September 14th is a full day for all Team Gold onsite and virtual students.
- Tuesday, September 15th is a full day for all Team Blue onsite and virtual students.
- We will continue to have free breakfast and lunch for all students.
- Onsite students can bring their own Chromebooks if they wish. They must use their school Google accounts login/authentication to access our open device network. Students are solely responsible for their devices.
- All CMS students (onsite and virtual) will earn quarterly numeric grades that will be calculated and reported. It’s important that all students attend on Team Blue or Team Gold Day (onsite and virtual). Attendance will be measured. Please continue to call your student in sick if they cannot participate (onsite and virtual). Please call Attendance at 518-237-4131.
- Chromebook distribution for students in the all virtual model is being scheduled now. Date TBD. Additional information will be posted on Parent Square.
- The staff at the Cohoes Middle School has very high expectations of our students. It is important that they keep a focus on their schoolwork, even in these very difficult times.
If my office can be of any assistance to you, feel free to contact me at your convenience. I am in the office throughout the remainder of the summer and can be reached at 237-4131.