Dear Cohoes Families,
Thank you for everything you are doing to help your child learn and to keep up with their assignments! Words cannot express my gratitude for your support as we continue to work together to provide our students with the resources they need to keep learning during the closure. As you may already be aware, Governor Cuomo announced that he is extending “New York State on PAUSE” through May 15 to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19.
As part of this order, schools throughout the state will remain closed through May 15. The governor could extend the closure again if he feels it is necessary to contain the virus.
I also wanted to provide information from the New York State Education Department (NYSED) on the cancellation of the June 2020 exams and temporary changes to requirements for students to earn high school diplomas for graduation. Please see our rundown of what students and parents need to know.
I am proud that we have:
- Engaged students through Google Classroom, Schoology and virtual meetings each day. Please view our check and connect schedules to see when our teachers have office hours or are hosting virtual meetings with students. We thank our teachers for their tireless dedication in getting our students acclimated to the virtual learning environment.
- Distributed over 400 Chromebooks to our students;
- Distributed up to 900 “grab and go” meals per day;
- Created countless videos to connect with our students and school community including…
- Van Schaick’s Teacher Roller Coaster; Mrs. DeChiaro is LIVE every weekday on the district Facebook page.
- CHS “Class is in session!”
- Mr. Perry is LIVE every morning! Join the Harmony Hill Community Group on Facebook to tune in!
- CMS “We miss our students!”
- Bedtime Stories with Mr. Bird!
- My Google Meet interview with a CHS Tiger Times reporter
While I understand this is a very challenging time, I truly believe we will emerge from this public health crisis a stronger and more connected community. We will get through this together; our compassion for one another and commitment to our students – your children – serve as a reminder as to why Cohoes is such a special place.
With Tiger Pride,