Registration for new students
*Please note that the Cohoes City School District is a non-busing district. Parents are responsible for getting their children to school daily. Parents either drop off and pick up, or many students walk to and from school.
Student registration is completed by appointment only at the District’s central registration office at Cohoes Middle School, at 7 Bevan Street.
To expedite the registration process, we encourage parents or guardians to call ahead and arrange to pick up a registration packet from the registration office, or email email@example.com to have a packet emailed to you.
Registration for universal prekindergarten (UPK) is held by appointment only. Please call 518-237-4131, ext. 2299 to schedule an appointment.
Along with a completed registration packet per child, the following documentation is required in order to enroll your child for school:
- Proof of age: (any of the following) birth certificate, passport, or baptismal certificate.
- Proof of immunization and a physical within the last year: this MUST be signed or stamped by a state-licensed health care provider. Proof may be faxed to 518-833-7009 directly from the physician’s office.
- Custody papers, if applicable: if the student is not your biological child, you must present documentation that proves a permanent and total transfer of custody and control has been achieved.
- Proofs of Residency (2): documents that show you reside in the Cohoes City School District.Proof of residency includes the following:
- Tax bill
- Homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy – Must be a valid policy with parent/guardian name and address.
- Residential Occupancy Permit (ROP) – Can be obtained from City Hall 518-233-2127 or your landlord.
- National grid bill w/in 30 days.
- Documents issued by the federal, state or local agencies.
- Legal and valid lease agreement – Must contain property owner’s name, address and signature; and name and signature of parent/guardian.
- Home purchase contract – Must contain seller’s name, the address of the property being purchased and the purchaser’s name.
- School Records: Most current report card, standardized testing results, and contact information, including phone and fax numbers, for the last school attended. Most current Individualized Education Program (IEP) if applicable.
Please note: your child’s placement for school may be delayed if you do not bring the above information with you.
*Confirmation of Residency: The district will confirm that the proof of residency accurately reflects the location where the family lives in district. The district will review records and/or contact the landlord or Cohoes City Hall to verify residency. If it is determined that the documents do not accurately reflect the families living arrangements, the parent/guardian will be notified in writing of these findings and the student(s) will be un-enrolled in the district.
If any of the above documents are unavailable the school district may consider other forms upon approval.
Please note: If your child is currently in the Cohoes UPK program, you do not need to register him/her for kindergarten; enrollment is automatic.
Pupils entering kindergarten must be 5 years old on or before December 1 of the school year in which they enroll in kindergarten.
Please call Alena Savaria at 518-237-4131, ext. 2299 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an appointment.
Private, Parochial and Charter School Students
Private, Parochial, and Charter school students must be registered through the registrar’s office. A Private School Registration form and two (2) proofs of residency in the district will be required at registration.