For mailing overnight payments:
Capital Region BOCES
NERIC – Cohoes School Tax
Cohoes City School District
900 Watervliet Shaker Road
Albany, NY 12205
There are two options to pay online.
- e–Check (No additional fees) – Direct withdrawal from your bank account. Please allow 5 business days for the payment to be deducted from your account.
* For this option you will need your bill number and Section/Block/Lot (SBL) number, both of which can be found on your bill. Your bill number begins with 2021.
- Credit Card Payment (50 cents + 3.75% fee paid by the taxpayer directly to the vendor) – Please allow 3 business days for the payment to be deducted from your account. The online payment program is not directly linked to the bill look-up program. Therefore, it takes between 3 to 5 business days for the payment to appear on your school tax account. The school district does not receive any income from the online transaction fees. Therefore, we cannot waive the fee.
Email your questions to CohoesTaxCollector@cohoes.org.
DO NOT MAIL YOUR PAYMENTS TO COHOES CITY HALL
USPS postmark determines date of payment
Payments can be mailed to:
Tax Processing Unit
Cohoes City School District
P.O. Box 14166
Albany, NY 12212-4166
Tear off the bottom coupon labeled #1 if paying in one installment. Tear off both #1 and #2 if paying both installments. Include these coupons/remittance stubs in the envelope provided with your check.
- Check the box in the left corner if you want a receipt.
- Make your check payable to Cohoes City School District.
School taxes are billed annually. You will receive only one bill in September. Your school taxes are divided in two (2) equal installments.
The first installment is due September 30.
The second installment is due March 31 of each year.
A “receipt” reminder will be mailed to you in early March.
This is a receipt for your first installment and a reminder to pay the second installment. You will not receive a bill for the second installment.
Delinquent tax notices are mailed the second week of April. You have until April 30 to make your payment. All payments postmarked May 1 or later will be returned to the taxpayer. From May 15 to October 1 taxes are paid at the City of Cohoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why hasn’t my e-check cleared?
Please allow 5 business days for processing E-checks. The timing depends how quickly the E-check flows through the banking system. The payment date is the date you made the online payment. We do not post the payment to your account until we receive the funds. For example, if you make your online payment on September 30th, your tax payment is recorded as paying on time. However, you will not see the payment on the lookup file until the dollars have cleared your bank.
Why am I being charged a fee for paying online by credit card?
The fee is directly paid to the vendor. The school district does not receive any revenue other than the tax payment.
What is the tax rate?
The 2021-22 tax rate is $37.85 per $1,000 of assessed value.
What is the STAR exemption and how do I register?
STAR is New York State’s School Tax Relief Program that provides a partial property tax exemption from the school taxes to eligible homeowners. To register online www.tax.ny.gov click Property Owners > STAR Program or call the STAR Program directly at 518-457-2036.
STAR Exemptions for 2021-22:
Basic STAR stayed the same at $539
Enhanced STAR stayed the same at $1,178