In our district, substitute teachers, teaching assistants and nurses are in high-demand and needed on an ongoing basis. You can apply to become a substitute through Capital Region BOCES.
- Each district looks at applications on a case-by-case basis
- Substitute teachers must have proof of 60 college credits, an associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree, license or certification, depending on the school district.
- Teaching assistants need proof of a high school diploma, a GED diploma, AAS diploma or a New York State Teaching Assistant Certificate, depending on the district.
- Nurses must have an RN and/or LPN license and current CPR training.
Did You Know?
- Instructional substitutes have access to the teacher’s retirement system.
- Substitute positions can lead to permanent placements…take the first step!
- Substitutes earn a competitive salary (retired teacher from district – $125 per diem; four-year degree or teacher certification – $120 per diem; two-year degree or a matriculating college junior – $100 per diem).
- Long-term substitute assignments are often available.
- Substitutes can base their assignments on grade-level and area of expertise preferences.