The Cohoes City School District has received another New York State Education Dept. (NYSED) prekindergarten grant, this time for 36 three year-olds living in the City of Cohoes.
The district will add two classrooms (18 students each) of three year-olds to the UPK program offered in collaboration with the Cohoes Community Center. One classroom will be at Van Schaick Grade School on Van Schaick Island and the other classroom will be at Abram Lansing Elementary School on James Street.
“This grant is incredibly important for our children and their families,” said Dr. Jennifer Spring, Superintendent. “Learning in the first five years has a tremendous impact on student success, and our three year-old program will ensure a brighter future for our students.”
Details of the three year-old program:
- Follows the school-day schedule, running from 8:50 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.;
- Free for all Cohoes three year-olds (must turn three on or before Dec. 1, 2016);
- Breakfast and lunch provided;
- Begins January 3, 2017;
- Priority is given to those students who qualify for free/reduced price lunch (determined by the federal application available here);
- Enrollment begins Monday, Nov. 28 and applications will be accepted until all spots are filled. If more than 36 applications are received, a waiting list will be created and a lottery will be held to determine placement.
The program is free for Cohoes three year-olds. Students who complete the program are automatically guaranteed placement in the four year-old program the following year.
Please call 237-4131 Ext. 2299 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment with the registrar.