Cohoes City School District



Tax bills for the 2015-16 school year will be mailed August 28! Payment will be due Sept. 30

Please Note: You can no longer make payments in person at First Niagara Bank OR the district office.

The postmark date of your tax bill serves as the payment date.

Click here to look up and/OR print your tax bill>>

Pay online here>>

Online payments open Sept. 1.


Delinquent Taxes

Delinquent Taxes are collected until April 30.

All payments postmarked May 1 or later will be returned to the taxpayer. From May 15 - October 1, delinquent taxes can be paid at Cohoes City Hall.


What is STAR?

Information on the STAR tax relief program

STAR is New York's school tax relief program. It is a partial property tax exemption for eligible homeowners. To register online, visit: or call the STAR program directly at (518) 457-2036.


What is the tax rate?

The 2014-2015 tax rate is $36.23 per $1,000 of assessed value.


When are my taxes due?

School taxes are due in two installments: half on Sept. 30 and half on March 31. Taxpayers will receive a bill in late August with two coupons--one for each payment with the amounts and due date. If you are paying the year in full, please include both coupons with your check. A penalty fee will be applied for late payments.


Where do I send my payment?

 Payments can be mailed to:

Tax Processing Unit
Cohoes City School District
P.O. Box 14166
Albany, NY 12212-4166

Tax payments are no longer accepted at the district office or First Niagara Bank.


Who do I make my check out to?

Checks should be made out to the Cohoes City School District.


Can I make payments online?

Yes, payments can be made online starting Sept. 1 by clicking here. There are two ways to pay online:

E-CHECK - Direct withdrawal from your bank account. Once check can pay multiple properties. You will need a routing and account number. This method of online payment charges a $4.95 processing fee.

CREDIT CARD - A 50 cent + 3% processing fee is charged when paying by credit card.


If I pay my taxes through an escrow account do I have to notify my mortgage holder?

No. The process should be seamless and you should not have to make any adjustments. If you receive your bill in error please forward it to your mortgage holder.


What should I do if I need to change my address, I find an error, or there's an exemption mission from my tax bill?

Please contact the city assessor's office at (518) 233-2112 if you have questions or problems with your school tax bill.